American McGee has written a new Kickstarter update revealing some of the biggest and baddest bosses you will encounter on Yomi Island. Ben and Matt, the project leaders, found their inspiration for these monsters while reading ancient Japanese illustrated folktales. These were stories of nature getting ugly, spirits becoming angry and man cowering for safety by dim firelight, and no creatures were safe. Get ready to meet 3 of the biggest bosses in Akaneiro: Demon Hunters to date:
Gashadokuro is described as "the stuff of lumberjack nightmares." He is planted on top of a graveyard and leads an army of vicious trees intent on tearing you to pieces. The second big bad boss is the big bad wolf itself - Albino Horror combines "all the things you hate about big teeth, big eyes and big claws." The final image is the Big Bad Bloodfang, and has been described as the face of payback on Westerners who exterminated lupine kind. These bosses will not only be terrifying to face but are also gorgeous to look at, as is the rest of the games' art style.
Akaneiro: Demon Hunters is a unique ARPG with fast paced combat and the ability to sway the time with a selection of abilities and equipment. Based around the story of Little Red Riding Hood, you can effectively personalise your character through equipment, skills and character skill building while travelling around Yomi Island. The island is separated into Regions, which each contain several Areas, each Area with a different environmental style and introducing new bosses and enemy types. Each of these areas has a small segment of the story. With a beautiful art style, a unique game play experience and a new take on Little Red it is definitely a project worth backing on Kickstarter.
Akaneiro has been in development since mid 2011 and aims to be released for PC, Mac, Android/iOS tablet and Linux with a host of features and updates being regularly added including the possibility of co-operative game play between consoles. The project has currently reached $124,033 of their $200,000 goal and has 6 days left. This money is used to provide extra features and make the game even better, and by pledging you can net yourself a whole selection of goodies, including:
- Android and iOS Beta Access and "Aka Backer" Kit Minor Infusion Pack (Pledge $10 or more)
- Exclusive Spirit Pet Helper, Steam-inspired Kakakuri Gaben + all previous reward tiers (Pledge $30 or more)
- Autographed copy of Alice: Madness Returns (PS3 and Xbox editions available), $100 Karma, Engraved Arkane Signet Ring, Exclusive Spirit Pet Helper - Steam Inspired Kakakuri Gaben, Exclusive Spirit Pet Helper - Golden Inugami, Akaneiro Original Soundtrack - Part 1 & 2 (Digital), Dark Horse Digital Akaneiro Comic Book #1, Clever Huntsman's Axe, Little Red Cap's Hooded Cloak, Android/iOS/Linux Beta, "Aka Backer" Kit - Wallpaper, Avatars and Banners (Pledge $60 or more)
- Exclusive Pet - Singularity Neko + Akaneiro Poster Print signed by Dev Team + all previous reward tiers (Pledge $135 or more)
And if you're feeling particularly rich and want an amazing experience....
- A fully paid trip to Shanghai, China for dinner with the entire Akaneiro: Demon Hunters team and a Spicy Horse studio tour + all previous reward tiers from Art of Akaneiro: Demon Hunters Art Book (Pledge $10,000 or more)
For more information about Akaneiro: Demon Hunters and what reward you can get if you pledge, visit the Akaneiro: Demon Hunters Kickstarter page. You can also visit the Akaneiro: Demon Hunters Facebook page and the Spicy Horse Facebook page.
On a similar note, VGU will be holding a 12 hour stream of Akaneiro: Demon Hunters on Wednesday 30th January 2013 and we will be joined by American McGee himself! It's the perfect chance to get your questions answered and to find much more out about this beautiful game, as well as a chance to win some exclusive goodies like the signed Akaneiro poster in the $135 pledge tier. For more information have a look at our previous article and remember to share it with anyone who likes Alice in Wonderland, American McGee or anyone who just wants to watch the stream.
I know the staff at VGU are looking forward to Akaneiro and the stream, how about you? Leave us a comment and don't forget to come back Wednesday at 1pm GMT.Last modified on